Friday, August 10, 2012

"To Help You I Must First Fall Down" Part 2


The four of us walked together up the stairs, down another hall, and into the main foyer of the church. A few people were still sauntering around outside the sanctuary doors, gazing up at the outdated photographs of new church members and posted announcements for different ministries. They had the look of a foreigner, looking at all at a landscape so different from what they were accustomed to, the same look as the women downstairs. Their eyes were wide, slowly inhaling and exhaling through their mouths. One woman had her hands clasped behind her back, her chin cocked to the side, as if admiring a display at a museum.
Another Christian was standing at the threshold of the entrance, holding a stack of papers (I knew that they were the typed lyrics of hymns so we could follow along to the music). He wore paint-splattered jeans and a shirt advertising a church name- not the one with the red doors. One I had never heard of before.
“Hello,” he said with a smile, handing all of us a paper. I nodded in reply and walked in.
The sanctuary of the church with the red doors is not very church-like. First of all, there is no pulpit at the top of two small staircases, there is no breakable ancient communion set, no heavy purple robes to put on. There were a few rows of wooden pews, but they were in the back of the room and off to the sides. All faced towards the middle of the sanctuary, so that you are looking at the people sitting across from you, rather than the person speaking. The organ resounded above from the loft in the back. At the front, there is a long mural spread across the wall of different shades of browns and greens and purples, interlocking like puzzle pieces. A wooden cross, painted white, hung above it. It seemed to be the most normal thing around the room.
Chairs had also been added, aligned like the pews, but closer to the front, between which the speaker would stand. Every chair is different- some painted aesthetically, others painted by mistake, some were dining room chairs with mismatched cushions sewn on by hand, others were just metal folding chairs. It was like a dinner party where the host did not have enough seats, and invited the guests to bring their own. I guess a lot of people came to the normal Sunday service.
All of the people, besides the few stranglers in the foyer, had taken a seat in one of the chairs. There were exactly seventy-five, and we were always told to fill up the closest rows. I inched my way between the bodies and chair backs to an open seat. A few snapped harsh remarks of “watch it” as I accidently stepped on a shoe. Only a few talked to their neighbor. When I sat down, the woman to my left was rubbing her face, then looking at her hand, as if trying to rub something off. The man to my right appeared to be sleeping; his chin drooped down to his chest. There was a horrible smell of cigarettes and human urine.
I turned my head back, letting my neck rest on the back of the chair and my mouth slightly open. I don’t really remember any of the other churches I have been in, at least not the details. So, I like to think that every church has a ceiling like the one with the red doors. At a first glance, it looks like there is no ceiling, just a starless black sky extending into nothing forever. Invisible wires were strung from the organ pipes in the back to hooks on the wall in the front. Hanging from them, just a few meters above your head, were hundreds of paper origami cranes in practically every color imaginable. When the organ played and the pipes trembled with the sound, they shook the wire, casting the birds into a convulsive flight. 
Suddenly the organ finished, and birds relaxed into a gentle sway. I heard the door in the back close, and the Christian walked down the aisle. A women rose from the pew where all the Christians sat, and he took her place as she continued up the aisle and into the space between the two sections of chairs.
“Friends, welcome. Thank you for joining us tonight in a celebration of thanksgiving. Although we may not have much, the Lord has still blessed us with one special gift tonight; the friendship and hospitality of fellowship.”
Her name was Polly. She always organized these nightly services. Her head was small and her legs were thin, but her middle bulged out unflatteringly from her blouse. I had always thought she was kind, until the night I walked into the church kitchen and heard her yelling at the volunteers who cooked the meal. She said the soup was cold and the toast was burnt. I’ve never looked at her the same way since.
“Now, let me introduce you to an old friend of mine, who has willingly agreed to lead us in worship. Please welcome Karin Hayes.”
Some people applauded, but it was uneven and scattered, incredibly insincere.
A tall man stood up from the pew, blending in with the rest of the Christians, and began to walk towards Polly. His dark jeans and sweater hung lose on his body, like he was just an awkward middle schooler. He carried an acoustic guitar by its neck in one hand, and a Bible in the other.
As he came closer to the lights, I was able to see his face more clearly. His wispy hair was incredibly blond, almost white, blending in with his translucent skin. He kept his eyes on his shoes until he reached Polly but when he looked up, I saw that his eyes were dark and impenetrable. It was if he was a black and white photograph.
“Karin is a student, studying medicine. But he is a wonderful guitar player. I keep telling him to trade in his stethoscope for a microphone.”
Polly gave a short, pinched “ha!” and playfully slapped his arm. Karin politely grinned back.
“We’ll, I’ll let you have the floor now,” and Polly left him alone, the lone object around a hundred and fifty strange eyes.
He walked out of the light the front wall and brought back a wooden stool. Someone had painted it with a light blue, sponge painted white clouds scattered along the legs. He placed in the center of the rug, sat down, and strummed a cord.
“I thought we would open with a song.”
His voice was deep and raspy, almost inaudible. It startled me to hear something so empty, yet see something so complete. I suddenly had some deep, compelling desire to go up to him, press my face into his blond wisps, and smell his shampoo, to wrap my arms around him and take in the odor of his wool sweater, a mixture of laundry detergent and cologne. But I didn’t. My lingering smell of homelessness would overpower his of a ritual and secure life. I couldn’t do that to him. I couldn’t let those two worlds gain contact. They were too different; polar opposites that reason ruled would never touch. And I have learned it is always best to listen to reason. So I sat on my hands in my seat, held my breath, and gaped at his unattainable reality.
“Feel free to follow along. The lyrics should be printed on the handout you got at the door.”
His music was ordinary; it seemed to have no affect on me. But his voice was somehow fuller when he sang than when he spoke. It was still breathy, but not completely emaciated. It was as if he was singing into my ear, his breath tickling my skin. But I could see him straight in front of me.

Weak and wounded sinner
Lost and left to die
O, raise your head for love is passing by

Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus and live

The woman sitting next to me sang along, joining in with the other separated voices around the room. I could see a few across from where I was sitting had raised their hands in praise. The man to the other side of me did not stir, a puddle of drool beginning to form on the white scruff of his beard.

And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace and laugh on glory’s side

Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live

No comments:

Post a Comment