Monday, August 20, 2012

"To Help You I Must First Fall Down" Part 5


The full moon outside shed a surprising amount of light into the apartment. It was funny how the room seemed so dark, yet I could see all around me. A paradox.
I sat up on the couch, my boney legs crossed in front of me. Karin had given me an old sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants to sleep in. But the pants were so large, they were uncomfortable, so I had taken them off and settled for the tattered sweatshirt, which hung down loosely past my knees. I twirled a strand of hair around my finger, but it quickly bounced out my reach back up towards my scalp.
Across the room, I saw the shape of Karin’s body under the blankets on his bed. I watched his chest heave up and down with every methodic breath.
I was so cold.
I felt so alone.
I wondered if Karin felt the same way.
Quietly, I stepped off the couch. The wooden floor was cold on my bare feet. I began to walk towards the bed; very aware of every step I took, yet not really thinking at all.
Now I could see his face.
His eyelids were black. Or it could have been that they were extremely sheer, and his bottomless eyes were showing through. He slept on his side, hunched over away from me. He had pulled the quilt completely around him, so that only the skin of his head was visible. His mouth parted a little as he breathed in and out.
Maybe that will be you someday.
Before me I saw a wounded man. A husk of a human being whose insides had been unfairly taken. Someone who was afraid to fight back. Someone who was very, very alone.
Someone like me.
Every muscle ached to lie next to him; to climb under the quilt and feel his warm skin against my own, to bury my face in his tangled hair. I wanted to tell him I understood, that he didn’t have to be alone anymore.
So I did.
            Holding my breath, I lifted the corner of the old quilt, revealing his bare back. His skin looked even more ghostly in the moonlight. He didn’t even stir.
            I climbed onto the bed, kneeling first, then slipping my legs under the covers. The mattress springs creaked. But it was a pleasant sound, a sound of home and affection. Again, Karin didn’t budge. Cautiously, I released my breath.
            Leaning on my elbow, I starred. In the milky light, his hair was a million tiny threads, swirling in different directions.
            Suddenly, he began to move. I held my breath again as he slowly uncurled his legs, stretching them out before releasing them again, pulled up the quilt around his shoulder, and sighed.
            He was so wounded. I could see him bleeding.
            When I was sure he was completely still again, I lay down so that my head was on the other pillow, still facing his back.
            He didn’t have to be alone.
            I lifted an arm and gently wrapped it around his chest, the quilt and the sweatshirt between each other’s skin. My fingers played with the edge of quilt, grabbing the worn fabric so it rubbed between them.
            Karin stirred, but I did not pull away. He inhaled, and then exhaled long and dramatically. He turned over onto his back so he was looking at the ceiling. My hand lay on his chest, palm down, fingers limp.
            “Your home,” he mumbled.
            I smiled at the words.
            “Shhh, it’s okay. We both are. It’s okay.”
            My pointer finger traced a circle on his chest, around and around.
            He grinned a toothless grin in his sleep.
            I was helping him.
            His eyes didn’t seem quite as dark anymore. But maybe it was just the light.
            He mumbled something.
            “Shhh, it’s okay, it’s okay go back to sleep,” I cooed.
            He grinned again.
            “Maggie. Mags, your home.”
            My finger stopped, mid-revolution.
            As quietly, as I slid into the bed, I slid out, padding across the floor to gather the little I had.
            “Mags, come on, girl. Please stay. Please stay with me,” I saw him sitting up in the bed. His eyes were the only part of him visible in the darkness. No longer did they seem so distant. As I stared back, they looked yellow and glassy, like some kind of creature. Creature fear.
            So relatively fucked.
            Before he could say another word, I vanished out the door and into the night. A faceless phantom with nowhere to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment